Sketches

Sunday 29 April 2012

Louisiana houses

On the morning of my flight back, I rose early to make sketches in the vicinity of the hotel. I managed to sketch and paint 3 sketches (one of them is horrible though). A few hundred meters from the Baton Rouge hotel I found this more or less typical Louisiana suburban house, with a beautifully porch. It's on the corner of Marigold and Cherrydale avenue. I tried to find the house back on Google streetview, but apparently the house was not yet built back in febr 2008!
One funny thing about these houses: they are located in huge grass lawns, with beautiful full grown trees, but there are no fences, hedges or shrubs to define where your garden ends and your neighbours starts. That's very strange to a Dutch eye.

2 comments:

Shari Blaukopf said...

René, I really love seeing your Dutch eye paint these American scenes. This is so beautiful and so lush.

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks Shari, It was quite a rush-rush painting, but somehow it worked out well.