Sketches

Tuesday 21 January 2014

't Winkelke Jo-Pie, Maastricht

A sidestreet in the Maastricht centre, the Lantaarnstraat. There is a small shop selling all kind of antique and old stuff, called 't Winkelke Jo-Pie (I think).
Even in the midst of winter he has a lot of brocante on display on the outside. Always a joy to see. Time for a quick sketch during lunchbreak.

I was reluctant to post the sketch because I feel there is something wrong with this drawing. It doesn't work. But I just can't figure out what.

So anyone an idea?

2 comments:

Michael Lukyniuk said...

Its an interesting composition. I think that what complicates things are all the pipies in the foreground. Our sense of perspective is thrown a little. Admittedly, the pipes were there and you had to sketch them, but they kinda skew the perspective a little for me. Its still a nice composition.
By the way, I received a copy of The Art of Urban Sketching for Christmas and just saw your sketches of Manhattan. Very nice. And your commentary makes it even more interesting.

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks for the comment. I had already left stuff out in the drawing, there were bikes parked against the pipes. Anyway, looking back I think that the story I wanted to tell (second hand gear at display in a narrow street) was hidden within not-so-relevant items like the pipes and the dark tree. They make the story and perspective unclear, well observed!