Sketches

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Barn at Reilhac

I tried to incorporate the lessons learned from the book "artist brain" (by Carl Purcell) into reality. That proved to be difficult, as he uses reality only as inspiration. He changes backgrounds to emphasise the main form, adjusts doors and building forms etc, all in order to achieve an interesting but not necessarily realistic painting.
Personally I feel reluctant using that approach, as Urban Sketcher I want to make a snapshot of reality. My objective is not a nice painting as finished product, but my personal record of what I see.
So, in order to use the "values", "interesting forms", "silhouetting", "colour relations" etc., I had to find subjects that already had those elements in place. And that was very difficult. This is one of the very few places where I succeeded to find it, a barn in the hamlet Reilhac, found during a 10km training around the camping site. Even though I adapted a lot of forms in this sketch, at least I tried to keep the final image close to what it looked like for me.

2 comments:

schilderijenfoto said...

Fantastisch losse stijl.

Rene Fijten said...

Dank je wel! Het onderwerp leende zich er ook voor.