Sunday, 13 December 2015


Interesting experiment: trying out an expressionist colour scheme. And it had to be done in a live portrait session, which makes it hard to deviate from reality as you see it.
The objective was to make an interesting colourfield, by playing with contrasting and often complementary colours, and still trying to maintain the facial expressions.
I tried to have the complementary colours (red vs. green) in the front area, so it would attract attention.
I also tried to spread colours over the page: if there is yellow at the frontal face, it should also appear on the other side.  But as I was painting contre-jour (I was looking at the non-lighted side of the face) it was difficult to find the proper spot and amount.
Acrylic 40x70cm, took me about an hour to make.

No comments: