Sketches

Friday 5 May 2017

Einstein on the Beach, Dortmund

Yesterday my son Mart and I went to Dortmund (Germany) to see the Opera "Einstein on the Beach" by Philip Glass.
My favourite composer and my all-time favourite piece of music.
This was an exceptionally good performance. I saw the same opera in Amsterdam a few years ago, in original the 1978 and even the original perfomers. And that was really 1978.
This was contemporary, abstract, with computer steered visual displays (the background images pulsate, move and change with the actual performed music, so each concert is different).
It was 3 1/2 hours non-stop repetitive music. I would go again tomorrow if Dortmund wasn't a full 2 hour drive away. 
Above picture is mine, at the start of the concert, the bottom one from the site of the Operahouse Dortmund.

No comments: